Gruen Associates is looking for highly-motivated individuals who are passionate and committed to the built and planned environments, sustainable design strategies and our communities. Interested professionals should seek responsibility, be detail-oriented, collaborative, and eager to take on challenges, offer solutions and grow with our team.
Gruen’s Urban Design and Planning Department has a long legacy of leading innovative planning, urban design, and streetscape projects for clients around the world. Planners at Gruen Associates work on all phases of a project, from preparing proposals to facilitating community workshops and writing plans. With our architecture and landscape architecture practice, many of our projects are implemented within the firm. The hands-on, interdisciplinary studio environment at Gruen offers unique and exciting opportunities to learn about all aspects of improving the built environment.
We are looking for motivated self-starters to support our growing practice. The Urban Planner/Designer will work on a variety of exciting projects that could include master plans, station area plans, Specific Plans, transit-oriented development projects, EIRs, feasibility analyses, campus, streetscape, and pedestrian plans, and design guidelines, among others. Candidates with a combination of strong writing and graphics skills, research and analytical capabilities, and experience with urban design projects are strongly encouraged to apply. The Urban Planner/Designer must be able to work independently and with a team of multi-disciplinary professionals.
Languages needed: English.
About the company
Gruen Associates is an award-winning, international architecture, planning, interiors, landscape architecture, transportation design and planning, and urban design firm headquartered in Los Angeles for more than 70 years. We provide services to clients in both the public and private sectors including cities, transportation agencies, other public agencies, developers, educators and high-end retail clientele. Our staff of licensed and emerging professionals are part of multi-disciplinary teams involved on a variety of projects from conception through design and construction.
The successful candidate will
- Conduct research and analysis in support of projects, which could include GIS mapping, statistical analysis, and research.
- Assist with the preparation of memos, policies, infographics, design guidelines, and plans.
- Participate in public outreach meetings and events.
- Generate high-quality plans and perspectives, both digital and hand-rendered.
- Support proposal-writing efforts.
Required education and skills
- 1-2 years of professional experience (could include internships).
- Excellent plan-writing skills with demonstrated proficiency through completed plans, reports, and/or research.
- Proficiency with GIS, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, and SketchUP, or other 3D rendering programs such as Rhino.
- Strong graphics and design skills. The ability to hand-render perspectives, sketches, and site plans is a plus.
- The ability to work constructively in a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary environment.
- Ability to think creatively and anticipate solutions to solving the complex problems that our work presents us.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- A degree in Urban Planning or Urban Studies is required. Candidates with second degree in one of the design disciplines (urban design, landscape architecture or architecture) are encouraged to apply.
- We offer a full benefits package including medical coverage, paid time off, and 401k plan. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to apply
To apply, please send a digital copy of your cover letter, resume, and work samples/portfolio via email to email@example.com. Not to exceed 10 MB; .pdf format preferred. Include the desired position in the subject line.
Work samples should clearly demonstrate the candidate’s writing, analytical, and graphics skills. If work samples were prepared by a team, indicate the sections for which you were responsible.
Please mention that you found this position on The Global Grid Jobs.