Senior Planner - Preservation and Design
This position, in the Department of Neighborhood Development Services, performs responsible professional work in the handling of a variety of assignments, particularly as related to aesthetics, design, and historic resource matters and may focus on the physical planning and urban design for the City of Charlottesville. Assignments will combine design and/or planning; involve research and writing of plans and reports; formulating and analyzing land use plans; promote sustainable neighborhoods, places, and corridors through the creation, revision, and application of policy and zoning regulations; does related work as required.
Primarily and most frequently the work done is performed independently, with diverse functional areas and more specialization and ability to train others. Work is performed under regular supervision under the Planning Manager; supervision may be exercised over subordinate technical and clerical personnel.
Languages needed: English.
About the company
Charlottesville‘s Department of Neighborhood Development Services manages planning, zoning, and development in the city.
The successful candidate will
- Perform independent work in the development of analysis and recommendations regarding current physical, social and economic projects and allied phases of the comprehensive plan and other planning/design efforts for the City that are subject to architectural review.
- Manage the City’s historic resources program, including the survey and designation of new historic districts and properties, the review of development applications within design control districts, the certified local government program, and related activities.
- Attend, assist, make presentations and/or recommendations, and provides independent staff support to the Board of Architectural Review, the Historic Resources Committee, the Entrance Corridor Review Board, and to other boards and commissions which may include the PLACE Design Task Force, Planning Commission, Zoning Appeals Board, City Council, and other related groups as needed.
- Review a variety of plans and applications, including but not limited to certificates of appropriateness, sign permits, zoning, special use permit applications and other development proposals, for conformity with principles of good planning, design, policy/regulation and land use practices.
- Coordinate design review with site plan and building permit reviews.
- Manage the development, review, and update of Design Guidelines.
- Draft proposed zoning and other ordinance changes, legal ads and notices.
- Prepare elements of the Comprehensive Plan relating to a wide variety of social, economic, physical and facility planning, including housing and neighborhood, historic preservation and capital improvement planning.
- Prepare technical studies and reports for the City Council, City Planning Commission, City Manager, and others.
- Manage staff and/or consultant contracts for assigned projects.
- Respond to inquiries from the public regarding related activities.
- Perform related tasks as required.
Required education and skills
- Any combination of education and relevant experience equivalent to a Master’s Degree in Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or related field; OR a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, History, or in a field related to Planning, from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of two years of experience in professional planning, design, or design review required. Experience in landscape architecture or architecture may be required.
- Must have a valid Virginia driver’s license by employment start date.
- AICP certification preferred, AIA or ASLA encouraged.
How to apply
To apply, visit www.charlottesville.org/jobs. Applications are only accepted online through our employment website.
Please mention that you found this position on The Global Grid Jobs.