Are you passionate about journalism and detail oriented? Are you a natural leader and good with deadlines? If so, The Global Grid wants to hear from you. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, online media publications are thriving, while print media outlets continue to decline. Despite the growth of online media, job seekers vying for journalism careers still face strong competition. Qualified candidates need education and experience. While you are working hard to acquire the necessary education, let us help you gain some valuable experience.
The Global Grid is seeking qualified applicants for Senior Editor Internships. As a Senior Editor, you will have the opportunity to supervise our Assistant Editors and blogging interns. You will gain valuable experience and skills, and and we make all of our internships available for academic credit. In addition, we offer free resume and career coaching to support you as you transition from our internship into the next phase of your career.
This is a virtual internship, and although you don’t have to commute to our office, we still expect professionalism and commitment from you. We are looking for the best of the best. If you are creative, energetic, and eager to learn, and can commit to at least a one year internship; we want to hear from you.
Languages needed: English.
Apply by October 31, 2017
About the company
Since 2010, The Global Grid has offered localized and unique architecture, engineering, landscape architecture, urban planning and related news every weekday. The Global Grid uniquely publishes news specific to the town or city in which the author resides or is traveling. With a 150+ writer alumni, The Global Grid continues to grow as a destination for local environmental design news and perspectives.
The successful candidate will
You can expect to gain experience in a variety of areas such as management, leadership, and editing. Your duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise Assistant Editors and their direct reports (up to 10 blogging interns);
- Collaborate with Assistant Editors to create and manage blogging schedules and editorial content;
- Ensure Assistant Editors and their direct reports meet all deadlines;
- Periodically review blogs edited by Assistant Editors to ensure work quality;
- Edit blogs for content, grammar, spelling, punctuation, style, and formatting when necessary;
- Format individual blog submissions in WordPress when necessary;
- Support direct reports through constructive, positive feedback;
- Develop and motivate your editorial team.
Required education and skills
- 1 year commitment, contractually;
- Excellent English writing and editing skills;
- Uninterrupted Internet and computer access, must check email daily;
- Ability to manage Assistant Editor interns and their direct reports, with a natural desire to teach;
- Independent self-starter;
- Superior time management skills;
- Problem solver and creative thinker;
- Great communication and people skills, a natural motivator;
- Multicultural understanding and awareness;
- Ability to work remotely;
- Previous experience as a writer for a blog is a plus.
This is an unpaid and virtual internship that can be completed from home. While we cannot guarantee opportunities for paid employment, interns will always gain first preference in our hiring processes.
How to apply
To apply follow this link and complete the items outlined below:
- Attach your resume and cover letter;
- Take this online English language proficiency test, print in “PDF” and attach results;
- Download the following writing sample. Edit the sample, utilizing tracked changes for spelling, grammar, punctuation and content. Provide comments as needed within the document, then attach within the application form;
- Like The Global Grid on Facebook;
- Follow The Global Grid on Twitter.
Please mention that you found this position on The Global Grid Jobs.