Community Design Group is seeking an experienced Planner for a senior-level position leading and supporting services in the areas of sustainable transportation, comprehensive planning and urban design.
Due to the quality and reputation of our work and service, demand and opportunities for Community Design Group are at an all time high. This is a new senior-level position that will be responsible for managing the work of our planning team and for creating systems, policies and procedures to support company operations and growth. This is a leadership position, working directly with the firm’s director, team members, and company clients.
Languages needed: English.
Apply by July 22, 2017
About the company
We work with communities to plan and design healthy, active, artful, vital, connected, prosperous, resilient, and enduring places.
- We value connecting people to places and cultivating community
- We value a community’s existing richness – in people, places, relationships and visions for the future
- We value equity and an enriched quality of life for all communities
- We value places that foster healthy, active lifestyles and we value human expression through art, culture and beauty
Community Design Group (CDG) is a design and planning consulting firm located in the heart of Minneapolis. Since 2001, CDG has been a leader in forward-thinking approaches to planning and design, specializing in sustainable solutions for mobility, placemaking and community engagement. We work closely with communities to plan and implement projects and initiatives that improve access to walking, biking, and transit, and connect people to the places where they live, work, and play.
The successful candidate will
- Lead and manage Urban Planning projects, including Comprehensive Plans, Pedestrian and Bicycle Plans, and Community Engagement projects.
- Provide mentorship, support and direction to a diverse group of staff.
- Lead Quality Assurance / Quality Control for planning projects.
- Provide outstanding service and responsiveness to Firm clients.
- Forge new business relationships, participate in developing fee budgets and project work narratives.
Required education and skills
- Minimum of 7–12 years of experience working as an urban planner in a project management role, leading staff and delegating work.
- Master’s Degree in City Planning, Urban and Regional Planning, or related discipline.
- Current AICP certification.
- Experience in developing Comprehensive Plans for cities and communities.
- Experience in developing Bicycle and Pedestrian / Multimodal / Sustainable Mobility Plans for cities and communities.
- Personal experience as a bicycle rider / commuter.
- Minimum 3–5 years of experience in a consulting environment.
- Experience in and knowledge of budgets, forecasts, quality control and general project management.
- Experience in working as a collaborative leader, with a commitment to mentoring less experienced staff and supporting a collegial exchange of ideas, finding enjoyment and fulfillment in facilitating the success of others.
- Will want to work with a team of values-driven, enthusiastic urban planners, landscape architects and community engagement specialists.
- Will be passionate about professional development in themselves and in their team.
- Technical proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite is a prerequisite.
- The right candidate will be a self starter, a critical and innovative thinker, and an energetic and creative professional who is passionate about elevating the quality of our deliverables, the skills and harmony of our team, and the satisfaction of our clients.
The salary for this full-time position is dependent on qualifications and experience. CDG offers a competitive benefits package which includes health and dental insurance, paid holidays, paid time off, flexible earned time, and a retirement plan that is matched by the company. In addition, we offer company bikeshare and carshare memberships, and public transit reimbursement.
CDG is located in the historic Colonial Warehouse building in the North Loop neighborhood of Minneapolis, adjacent to the Cedar Lake Trail. Within a short distance there are many bikeways and transit lines, as well as restaurants and the Mississippi River. Building perks include direct access to the Cedar Lake Trail, secure indoor bicycle parking, and shower facilities. The office has a comfortable, open floor plan. The space includes daylit operable windows, hardwood floors, and a variety of workspace options to accommodate a flexible work environment.
How to apply
To apply, please send the following materials with the subject line “Application: Planning Manager” by end of day, July 22, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter (PDF)
- Resume (PDF)
- Work examples, including writing, mapping or analysis samples, and Comprehensive Plans completed (PDF or links to work examples)
Cover letters can be addressed to Scot Nortrom, Operations Manager. Please limit size of email attachments to 10 MB (or use Google Drive, Dropbox or similar).
Only applications meeting minimum requirements will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Please mention that you found this position on The Global Grid Jobs.