Center Cities Initiative Director
The Center Cities Initiative Director position is a compelling opportunity for a tenacious and entrepreneurial individual to work with a high-level coalition of partners who have convened for the first time to accelerate economic growth in the Cities of Minneapolis & Saint Paul, with a particular focus on four city-identified geographic areas: North Side and Northeast Minneapolis neighborhoods, and Midway and East Side Saint Paul neighborhoods. Coalition members include the Cities of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Hennepin and Ramsey Counties, the Minneapolis and Saint Paul Chamber of Commerce, the Saint Paul Port Authority, GREATER MSP, Minnesota Philanthropy Partners, and the McKnight Foundation. The Director will support the coalition’s efforts to develop and implement an Action Strategy, the goal of which is to improve economic outcomes for people, and businesses alike, harnessing the coalition’s collective resources and expertise to advance shared prosperity through increased job creation and capital investment. This is a two-year, grant funded position, which may be extended with demonstrated initiative success.
Languages needed: English.
About the company
GREATER MSP (Minneapolis Saint Paul Regional Economic Development Partnership) is a private non-profit organization (501C3) dedicated to providing public and private sector leadership, coordination and engagement to grow the economy of the 16-county Minneapolis Saint Paul region. With its economic development partners throughout the region, GREATER MSP is advancing a coordinated regional economic development strategy, a coordinated regional brand to promote the region’s assets and a coordinated regional business retention, expansion, and recruitment program to stimulate capital investment and job creation in the region. The organization is also promoting a regional talent strategy to attract and retain talented workers.
The Greater Minneapolis Saint Paul region will lead the world in solving its most important challenges for the future. Safe and abundant food, clean water and health solutions will drive the global economy in coming years. The Greater MSP region is the leader in these technologies and industries, and has the R&D, financial and business services infrastructure to support them. Our highly educated and culturally connected workforce will create the business success. Our quality of life and social collaboration will sustain that success. Businesses prosper here. People prosper here.
The successful candidate will
- Action Plan: Support the Coalition in finalizing, implementing, communicating, and measuring the Center Cities Action Strategy, including:
- Building the Brand: Create a compelling story of the tremendous investment opportunities presented in Minneapolis & Saint Paul.
- Creating More Sites: Support efforts of coalition members and private sector land owners to create market-ready, deal-ready sites.
- Business Retention & Expansion: Support strategic BR&E visits by coalition partners; utilize insights gained to advance economic growth, e.g., support expansions by existing businesses, recruit respective supply chain vendors, etc.
- Closing More Deals: Work with investors, real estate brokers, site selectors, and developers to enhance their understanding of the competitive positioning of the center cities and related investment opportunities, with a particular, but not exclusive focus on, sites in the target geographies. Assist with developing additional tools as necessary to recruit investment. Bring more ‘deals’ to the coalition, adding value to the vetting process and deal closure. Serve as a point of contact for prospects looking for a center city location.
- Relationships: Create effective working relationships with coalition members, elected officials, major employers, anchor institutions, philanthropic organizations, nonprofit organizations, higher education institutions, and other stakeholders. Cultivate and maintain relationships with brokers, site selectors, and other real estate professionals, ensuring effective, frequent communication about investment opportunities and available support.
- Administration: Support the development, implementation, and maintenance of an effective structure and system to support the coalition in achieving the goals of the action strategy. Support the coalition in sustaining an outcome-focus, helping to ensure accountability, and consistent, transparent, and open information sharing and communication. Convene meetings, draft action-oriented agendas and meeting minutes. Identify, and overcome, barriers to success. Report on implementation progress, including a coalition-determined set of metrics.
Required education and skills
The ideal candidate will have experience in facilitating, and leading complex initiatives, including real estate investment. S/he will be a confident communicator, able to serve as a strong ambassador for the CCCI in various settings, and have demonstrated experience in successfully navigating complex political situations.
Education & Experience: A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Financing, Urban Planning, Economics, Public Policy or other closely related field and at least five years of experience in economic development, sales & marketing, communication, and/or high level project management is required, together with a demonstrated understanding of economic development fundamentals.
How to apply
To apply, please submit cover letter, with salary requirements and resumes to: Center Cities Competitiveness Initiative - c/o Cecile Bedor, Executive Vice President, GREATER MSP, 400 Robert Street North, Saint Paul, MN 55101 - or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mention that you found this position on The Global Grid Jobs.