The City of San Mateo is a very progressive City that encourages staff and resident engagement to develop positive solutions that meet the demands of our community. You’ll be joining a team of talented professionals in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment dedicated to serving the San Mateo community. The Community Development Department’s core function is to ensure a quality built environment, healthy neighborhoods and a strong economic base in the City. The Department is working on or assisting other departments on city initiatives including the General Plan and Downtown Plan updates, Bicycle Master Plan update, Zoning Code amendments, implementation of recent state housing legislations, as well as review applications for civic facilities and private development projects.
The Assistant/Associate Planner position may be filled at either level based on experience. This is a three-year limited term position. You will join the Advanced Planning team working on existing initiatives including the update of the General Plan and Downtown Plan; provide support for other department’s master plans; may process a range of civic facility and private development projects.
Assistant Planner – as the entry level class, you will be allowed to develop journey level knowledge and abilities in the field of municipal planning. Initially, under immediate supervision, you will learn and perform a variety of fundamental support activities in the area of current and future planning.
Associate Planner –as the journey level class, you are expected to work independently in the research, analysis and coordination of planning, housing and community development, parks and open space issues, as well as civic facilities and private development projects; and in the preparation of a variety of reports, environmental documents, studies and recommendations.
For a complete list of duties, reference our job specifications at www.cityofsanmateo.org
Salary: $6,821.00-$8,942.00 Monthly
Languages needed: English.
Apply by May 25, 2018
About the company
San Mateo is a city of approximately 100,000 residents located in Silicon Valley. One of the City’s strengths is its diversity, both in the ethnic makeup and the physical development of the community. San Mateo has a vibrant business and retail environment with national and international businesses, two major shopping centers and an active downtown.
You would be joining over 500 people whose mission it is to serve the San Mateo community with a collaborative, innovative and professional spirit. We are looking for someone who embodies our shared values of respect, creativity, inclusivity, transparency, and integrity in their words and actions.
Required education and skills
- You possess the ability to learn, interpret, and apply departmental policies, laws.
- You possess a desire to contribute to a positive work environment that fosters motivation and engagement in our workforce.
- You are an innovative doer who welcomes challenge, is resourceful and works well both independently and with others.
- You are an exceptional communicator (oral and written) with superior interpersonal skills.
- You are able to exercise good judgement and decision making abilities.
- For an Assistant Planner: you have the equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in urban planning, architecture, landscape architecture, economics, geography, or public administration or related field and one year of responsible experience in a municipal planning, with emphasis on current and advanced planning. A Master’s degree may be substituted for the required one (1) year of experience.
- For an Associate Planner: in addition to the qualifications for Assistant Planner, you have two years of progressively more responsible experience comparable to that of an Assistant Planner.
- You have a valid class C California driver’s license.
- Expertise in community planning, urban design, or architectural design is desirable.
- Expertise with computer graphics applications, or GIS is desirable.
- Comprehensive benefits package including generous paid leave and health benefits.
- CalPERS retirement 2% @ 55 for classic members; 2% @ 62 for new members. Classic employees contribute 7.5% to CalPERS and New members contribute 6.25% to CalPERS with participation in the Social Security Program.
- Plus Salary increases: 2% on 7/1/2018, plus annual step increases with satisfactory reviews.
- Programs: City contribution of .5% of base salary to Retirement Health Savings Account.
- Free Fitness classes through City of San Mateo Parks and Recreation, Employee Assistance Program and Credit Union Membership.
- Bilingual Diff: $195 monthly (if applicable).
- This classification is represented by the San Mateo Employees Association.
How to apply
To apply, please go to this link.
Please mention that you found this position on The Global Grid Jobs.