Director - Planning and Community Development
The City of Dayton (City) is looking for a Director of Planning & Community Development to manage the Planning/Community Development department.
The Director of Planning & Community Development reports to the City Manager or designee. In executing the function of the Director of Planning & Community Development, the incumbent is required to function within the general policies and goals established by the City Commission, the City Manager, and the various City boards, as well as possess a working knowledge and understanding of the administrative guidelines as established by the City administration. The Department's divisions have a significant impact on the legislative and administrative functions of the City Government. Incumbent is required to interpret, apply and execute responsibilities within the parameters of the Federal, State, and local legislation. The Director of Planning & Community Development directs staff in initiating, developing, presenting and implementing all elements of the land use and transportation sections of the City's master plan; coordinating, approving and executing policy methods and procedures related to City planning activities, programs, and projects; making continuing personal contacts involving public relations, difficult negotiations, presentation and interpretation of City planning, policies, rules and regulations, and problems of a professional and technical nature.
Salary: $98,612.80 - $133,411.20
Languages needed: English.
Apply by August 1, 2017
About the company
The City of Dayton was the first large city to adopt the Council Manager form of government, in 1913. The Dayton City Commission is comprised of five members – a Mayor and four Commissioners – who are elected at-large on a non-partisan basis. Dayton City government provides a full range of services, including police, fire, EMS, street maintenance, waste collection, building inspection, water supply and treatment, sewer maintenance, wastewater treatment, recreation, municipal courts, an international airport and a general aviation airport, and a convention center. The City of Dayton organization is comprised of 15 departments/offices employing approximately 2,000 employees. The General Fund budget is approximately $150 million.
The successful candidate will
- Manage and direct all activities of the department through division managers and other subordinate staff members.
- Prepare policies and communications that result in the development, redevelopment and improvement of the quality of life within the City and its neighborhoods.
- Have community engagement and citizen involvement that includes neighborhood organizing.
- Create programs and policy recommendations for consideration by the City Manager, City Commission, City Plan Board, and Landmark Commission.
- Acting as the liaison between the various boards and the City Commission to facilitate the flow of information and maintaining communication.
- Preparing comprehensive neighborhood plans, zoning code and subdivision regulation revisions.
- Developing urban design plans and standards for the City, amenities planning, selected architectural services and other appropriate project design.
- Establish goals and objectives with subordinates and evaluates their performance on a regular basis.
- Ensure public awareness of stated goals and objectives of the City relative to planning and community development activities; actively engages citizens of the city in planning and community development, public policy discussions and service delivery.
Required education and skills
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college and ten (10) years of management level experience is required. A Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business, Planning, or Engineering can be substituted for two (2) years of experience. For each year experience working in Planning, Engineering or Community Development, one (1) year management level experience may be substituted.
- Must have a valid driver’s license at time of appointment and maintain as a condition of employment.
How to apply
Resume and cover letter specifically addressing how your experience relates to the qualifications and duties required for this position, copy of college transcripts and driver’s license should be sent to:
Human Resources Department
Re: Director – Planning & Community Development
City of Dayton
101 W. Third Street
Dayton, Ohio 45402
Please mention that you found this position on The Global Grid Jobs.